Sunday 4 June 2017

Desperately seeking answers

Have you ever read an article in a magazine or online and experienced what Oprah used to call an "AHA!" moment? Well, I did, a little more than 2 months ago. I was online and stumbled upon an article about under active thyroids. As I read through the list of symptoms I was mentally putting a tick next to each one. Every single symptom.Yes, I am constantly tired, yet not able to sleep. Yes, I am super irritable. Yes, I have such bad brain fog some days that I feel a bit like Dory....and the list went on. So I decided to go visit my lovely GP and have a chat to her.




I had to wait a few weeks before I could see her, as I was not an emergency patient. During that time I argued with myself, wondering whether I was just imagining it all and perhaps just looking for an excuse for my moodiness, irritability and inability to lose weight. However, one morning I found myself screaming at my children at 6am and realised that this is not normal and that I needed help. To me, it felt like I was being consumed by a black hole and every passing day I was falling deeper into it.

First off, my lovely doctor ordered a battery of blood tests, including fasting glucose and insulin, cholesterol, thyroid function, full blood count, Iron, vitamin B and D as well as Rheumatoid factors (because all my joints were stiff and sore). Secondly, for the safety of my family and for my sanity, she prescribed a mood booster (which is the nice term for antidepressant), which she said would "kick in" after about two weeks. Thirdly, she suggested I make an appointment with a dietitian. She assured me that Amanda was not a "cookie cutter" dietitian who lumps those wanting to lose 5kg and those needing to 50kg into the same category and shoves a standardised photocopied diet into your hand while billing you a small fortune.

The following day I went for my blood tests, started my mood booster and made an appointment to see Amanda.

It took a few days before my blood results came back, but they were just as doc had expected. The good news is that it was all treatable.

My cholesterol was on the high side of normal, but nothing to worry about. My uric acid levels were raised, which explained the sore, stiff joints. Glucose and vitamin B12 were normal. Iron and vit D were below normal. Thyroid was under active.  Insulin was 16.5 when it should be less than 10.4, indicating that I am insulin resistant. That same day, I went to see Amanda, the dietitian. However, "wellness coach" would be a better description for the role she has taken on in my life.

Amanda had been in contact with my GP and received a copy of my blood results. We spent about an hour talking about my weight and health history, my likes and dislike and what my blood results show. She was so kind and encouraging...anything but the cookie cutter dietitians I have been to in the past.The eating plan that she has tailored to suit my needs is amazing! She has taken my love-hate relationship with the kitchen into account as well as the fact that my hunkastudmuffin hubby is an avid banter. She sends me daily messages of encouragement and is always available if I need to ask her something regarding my program.

We have come up with a four pronged approach to beating the blues and the bulge:

1. Medication - I am on Glucophage to help with the insulin resistance as well as thyroid medication, Iron supplement, Magnesium, Omega 3, Vit D supplement, medication to treat gout and a mood booster.




2. Eating plan - Amanda has tailored my plan. It is low fat and low carb. I have cut back on refined sugars and follow a kilojoule restricted plan. Because this has to become a way of life for me, Amanda has included little treats like Ultramel Zero as a snack with pie apples, Slimmers choice frozen yogurt once a week and a small packet of casava chips once a week.



3. Exercise - I need to try to walk for 30min daily. At the moment I am managing 3-4 times a week. I have just been walking around the field at school as my foot was still painful. Currently I manage about 6 laps of the field in 30min and I am improving my average pace with each walk.



4. Dry body brushing - I have very poor lymphatic and blood circulation in my legs due to being sedentary while working as well as being overweight. Dry body brushing encourages lymphatic drainage, reducing swelling in legs and helps to get rid of toxins...which in turn improves cellulite. It also has the added bonus of exfoliating the skin. I do this every evening before I shower.





So there you have it! I have been on my mood booster for 3 weeks now and, dare I say, that I have a bit more patience and I'm not nearly as irritable as I was before. It's been 2 weeks since I have started all the other medication and my new eating plan. The pain in my foot is SO much better! In the first 10 days I have lost 3.4 kilos and 5cm around my waist. Can I get a "HALLELUJAH" !!!!

For the first time in months, I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train.

Until next time,
XX-L



Happy 2019!

It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. About 16 months. You might be wondering why. Honestly? Life...life happened. But this ...