Thursday 8 June 2017

My Top 5 Favourite Plus-size Looks for Winter 2017

Hi Guys

Another one of my big passions is fashion. I could spend hours and hours browsing through the shops putting looks together in my head. The problem is that most of those looks are for skinny girls....

Now before you shoot me down, hear me out. Yes, there are a few "Plus size" shops and some of the bigger stores are starting to realise that our nation is not all size eights and tens, but until recently I have really struggled to find something that does not make me feel like a granny wearing a tent. I was in my favourite plus size shop, Donna, the other day and was really impressed how they have upped their game. Their clothes are far more trendy, not as boxy and I could actually find outfits that make me feel my age and not like a granny! You can check out their latest lookbook here.

Aletté Winckler has been making some big waves on the Style and Image Consultant front. She was recently made CEO of the South African Image Academy. I have had the privilege to hear her speak about her passion for fashion and women, I've read her books, I've had a one on one colour consultation with her and I am dying to attend one of her Super groups that she offers around the country. My word of advice to you is, like her page on Facebook and subscribe to her newsletter as she posts regular updates of what is hot and what is not. Go check out her website by clicking here.

Here are my top 5 favourite pinterest looks for us plus size gals for this winter:

1. Chambray shirt with leggings and a chunky knit



(Picture: Pinterest)

I love the combination of the colour of the Chambray shirt and the comfort and textures of the chunky knit. Chambray is so versatile and can pretty much work with any colour. It can be dressed up, like in the picture, or dressed down with some sneakers. I love this look pictured but sadly because I have such big calves, I have never been able to find a pair of long boots that fit. Donna does have boots that do accommodate fuller calves though.

2. Ponchos

(Picture: Pinterest)

The ponchos are back and I couldn't be happier. They are super comfy and easy to wear! I saw one very similar to this one in the picture at Exact! I also love this colour combination of the maroon/plummy colour with the navy blue and denim. A poncho paired with some skinny jeans and booties and the right accessories can make you look trés chic.

3. Blazer, white shirt and Jeans



(Picture: Pinterest)

As a work from home mom, my general wardrobe is very casual. Most days the only other adults I come into contact with are the moms at school that I fleetingly see when dropping off and picking up my kids (and of course my hubby). So, I could potentially spend most of my days in my jammies. But once in a while I do need to looks a bit more formal (and I'm using that word very loosely here) and what better way than to dress up my staple jeans with a white shirt and blazer. Someone once said to me that one can never have enough white shirts in your cupboard. Donna has some stunning blazers in this season. I can highly recommend that you check them out. I love the comfort of this look as she has paired it with some sneakers, but it can be dressed up a bit more if need be by wearing a kitten heal or some pumps.

4. Check shirt


(Picture: Pinterest)

I love the brightness of the check shirts that I have seen in stores recently. It just adds a pop of colour to the dreariness of winter. This shirt looks great combined with a nice warm puffer vest and a knitted snood. Again, I would love to be able to wear boots like those in the picture, but I wear my outfit similar to this one with my good ol' tekkies and ankle boots. 

5. Scarves



(Picture: Pinterest)

I love scarves for winter! Aletté once said that you can wear any colour, as long as the colour that is closest to your face suits your skin tone, hair colour etc. Scarves are my way of still being able to wear all black outfits without looking washed out. There are so many youtube videos out there that show you beautiful ways to tie scarves that makes wearing them interesting and fun.

Let me know what you favourite winter looks are!

Until next time,
XX-L


Happy 2019!

It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. About 16 months. You might be wondering why. Honestly? Life...life happened. But this ...