Monday 5 September 2016

Emotional Eating

For those of you who have followed my blog and facebook post from the beginning, you will know that I am a terrible emotional eater. I literally eat for every emotion that there is. When I'm sad, I eat (chocolate). When I'm stressed, I eat (niknaks). When I'm tired, I eat (junk food). When I'm happy, I eat (cake). When I've achieved something, I eat (cake).

Recently our family grew by one furchild - Zoë, the Rhodesian ridgeback. Over the passed few weeks, Zoë and I have been attending puppy school to gain a few basic puppy manners. The method that we use is positive reinforcement using treats. So, I tell Zoë to sit...she sits...she gets a treat and loads of praise and loves. This got me thinking about a quote I recently saw on Pinterest:


By using food as my therapy tool or reward over the passed year, I have not only done emence physical damage to my body through weight gain (we are what we eat, after all). But the additional emotional baggage that has come with the extra kilos has also been enormous. I don't like going out as much as I used to. I constantly feel like people are staring at me or talking about me because I am so large. My moods fluctuate with my sugar levels, which hasn't been an easy rollercoaster ride for my family. I'm impatient and irritable with my kiddos. Generally speaking, it's not a pretty picture.

So, one of my first steps that I need to take on this journey to becoming healthier, is to stop feeding my emotions. I need to learn to recognise the difference between physical or true hunger and emotional hunger. I found this table below which sums it up beautifully:


A few things that I can do instead of shoveling a piece of cake into my mouth or inhaling a slab of chocolate would be:
1. Go for a walk - ie. physically remove yourself from the temptation that is infront of you. When Zoë is a bit older, she will become one of the girls in our morning walking group.
2. Talk to a friend - I have started a whatsapp group with a few friends and Tights & Tekkies readers where we support and encourage each otherr on our journey to becoming healthier. This is also where we hold each other accountable.
3. Journal or write down what you are feeling or thinking. That it how Tights & Tekkies came about.
4. Drink some water.
5. Have a relaxing bubble bath / shower.
6. Paint your nails.
7. Listen to your favourite song. Why not dance to your favourite song while you're at it and burn off a few extra calories?
8. Organise something - that junk drawer in the kitchen, your clothes, your linen cupboard, the kids toys...
9. Clean the house or do some gardening.
10.Search pinterest for positive, motivating quotes.

It's OK to have the occassional treat. A small square of 90% cocoa chocolate is GOOD for you. We must just be mindful of WHY we are eating it.

My goal over the next week is to make a conserted effort to differentiate between physical and emotional hunger every time I consider putting something into my mouth to eat. I need ask myself if this food that I am about to consume is feul or is it therapy. If the anwer is therapy, then I need to put it down and find something else to do to occupy my mind and hands until the urge or craving passes.

Until next time,
XX-L

Happy 2019!

It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. About 16 months. You might be wondering why. Honestly? Life...life happened. But this ...